1) Don’t Send Resumes Unless They Are Viable For You – Don’t waste your time shooting out resumes to companies that do not offer your ideal job. Think before you send.
2) No First Names – It is not proper interviewing etiquette to call your interviewer by his or her first name, including interviewers younger than you, says career expert Sally Haver. Until you hear, “You can call me Fred,” or the equivalent, address the interviewer formally.
3) Don’t Co-Mingle Your Social Life – It is a very good idea to keep your private life private by making your social profiles closed to the public.
4) Do Your Homework/Research Before The Interview – “One of the biggest turn-offs for a hiring manager is when a candidate they are interviewing has not done the research necessary to understand both the position and the company they are applying for,” says Kip Hollister of Hollister Inc., a New England staffing firm.
5) Dress Appropriately For Your Interview – You do not want what you are wearing to detract from what you are saying or to present a negative impression. Don’t dress too sexy, too casual or wear too much jewelry. Instead, dress for the position you want to have.
MilitaryConnection.com is a portal of all things military. We have thousands of pages and hundreds of databases of valuable information and resources. There is something for everyone. All of this is provided free to users. Additionally, we feature all types of Articles like this one to keep you informed. We will post your press releases, special events, newsletters, professional conferences and seminars, reunions, job fairs, and videos to help organizations get out the word. One of the areas of our focus is connecting candidates from the military community with outstanding government and civilian employers. We are well aware that candidates from the military community across the board have a work ethic second to none. They make highly valued employees. MilitaryConnection.com has a multitude of employment resources including a Directory of over 30,000 employers, Job Tips, Columns, our Job Board, Virtual Job Fair and much more. We understand the importance of education. Please check out our new Scholarship Directory featuring thousands of scholarships. When the next tour is back home, it’s on MilitaryConnection.com.