Compton: Stimulus check is not counted against pension

By George Compton
Saturday, April 12, 2008

Q I am on a VA pension and I would like to file for the economic stimulus payment. Will that payment be counted as income against my pension?

A. No, the economic stimulus payment will not be counted as income by the VA.

Q. I am rated 100 percent service-connected disabled by the VA, but I was informed that I was not eligible for use of the commissary on Naval Base Ventura County. How can I appeal that decision?

A. At this time, you are rated 100 percent, but your rating is not permanent. You are scheduled for a re-evaluation of your disability. Veterans who are permanently rated at 100 percent disabled are allowed to use the commissary on military bases. The veteran needs a letter from the VA that confirms the disability; the normal VA award letter will not work. To get a commissary letter, the veteran can call the VA Regional Office at 800-827-1000, or contact this office and we will assist.

Q. How can I get a VA identification card?

A. The VA issues a medical card when a veteran enrolls for medical care. You can make an appointment to enroll at the VA clinic on Citrus Grove in Oxnard by calling 485-7060. However, veterans without service-connected disabilities and are over income will be placed in Priority Group 8, and cannot be treated.

Q. I inherited a parcel of land in Oregon, and I would like to have a manufactured home there. Is it possible to use a VA home loan?

A. The VA does guarantee a loan for a manufactured home, but there are some specific rules. The following is from the VA pamphlet on Manufactured Home Loans: “A manufactured home is built on a permanent frame and is made to be moved in one or more sections. It must be built to be lived in year round by a single family and there must be permanent eating, cooking, sleeping and sanitary facilities. A single-wide manufactured (mobile) home must be at least 10 feet wide, with a minimum floor area of 400 square feet; double wide units must be at least 20 feet wide, with at least 700 square feet of floor space.”

We are sending you a copy of the pamphlet; it will explain how to obtain a loan.

— George Compton, retired Army colonel, is the veterans service officer for the County of Ventura, Human Services Agency. Send your questions to Veterans Service Office, 1701 Pacific Ave., Suite 110, Oxnard, CA 93033; phone number: 385-6366; fax: 385-6371; or e-mail: [email protected].