Compton: California Fee Waiver will cover summer school

By George Compton
Saturday, May 23, 2009

Q. I am using the California Fee Waiver at CSU Long Beach and I am going to transfer to Moorpark College for summer school. Can I use the same letter for the summer? Also, does the program cover extension programs?

A. We will send you a new letter for Moorpark College. If a student stays at the same school for an academic year the fee waiver covers that time. With a transfer or summer school at a different school, we can provide another letter without the student having to reapply.

There are some extension programs that are not covered by the fee waiver. You need to discuss which programs are excluded with the school, as they have their own requirements.

Q. I am disabled with a 50 percent rating. My award letter shows a decrease in my award when each of my children reaches 18 years old. I was told I should continue to get paid for them if they attend college. Is that true?

A. You will get paid at a higher rate if your children are in college, but you must inform the VA that they are attending college. As each of your children approaches their 18th birthday, contact this office and we will assist you with the information needed to continue the award. Your children can remain on your award until age 23 if they are in college. This allowance applies to veterans rated 30 percent and higher.

Q. My son said his teacher last year showed a Web site in the classroom about patriotism and it featured veterans. Where can I find that Web site?

A. The Department of Veterans Affairs has an area on its Web site ( called VA Kids. That site has an area for teachers.

Q. I have an insurance supplement to Medicare through my wife’s job. Does that stop me from using TRICARE for Life?

A. Medicare will continue to be the first to pay, but instead of TRICARE for Life paying second, your Medicare supplemental insurance will be your secondary payer. If there is still an outstanding balance on your claim after both have paid, you will be responsible for paying that balance and then filing a claim for reimbursement with TRICARE.

— George Compton, a retired Army colonel, is the veterans service officer for the county Human Services Agency.

Send your questions to Veterans Service Office, 1701 Pacific Ave., Suite 110, Oxnard, CA 93033, phone 385-6366, fax 385-6371, or e-mail [email protected].

—— is a portal of all things military. We have thousands of pages and hundreds of databases of valuable information and resources. There is something for everyone. All of this is provided free to users. Additionally, we feature all types of Columns like this one to keep you informed. We will post your press releases, special events, newsletters, professional conferences and seminars, reunions, job fairs, and videos to help organizations get out the word. One of the areas of our focus is connecting candidates from the military community with outstanding government and civilian employers. We are well aware that candidates from the military community across the board have a work ethic second to none. They make highly valued employees. has a multitude of employment resources including a Directory of over 30,000 employers, Job Tips, Columns, our Job Board, Virtual Job Fair and much more. We understand the importance of education. Please check out our new Scholarship Directory featuring thousands of scholarships. When the next tour is back home, it’s on