Compton: Prescriptions may be filled online or by telephone

By George Compton
Saturday, November 24, 2007

Q. I recently received my first prescription from the VA. Can you tell me the   best way to get refills?

A. You can get refills by using the VA Web site (  or by telephone, which is what I do. The toll-free number  (800-952-4852) should be on the label of your prescription. The phone  menu will take you to the prescription site, and you will have to  provide your Social Security number and your prescription number, which  is also on your prescription. If you have any problems you will be able  to talk to someone at that site.

Q. I have a disability rating from the VA, and my wife is having  medical problems. Is there any additional compensation in this case?

A. Veterans rated 30 percent and higher can receive an additional  amount of monthly compensation if the spouse is in need of aid and  attendance. The amount increases as the veteran’s disability rating  increases. Even with 100 percent disability, this is not a lot of  money, but I am sure any additional helps. If you are rated 100 percent  your wife should be receiving medical care under CHAMPVA.

Q. I was active duty in the Army for four years and paid into the  education program. I have since joined the National Guard and spent the  last year in Iraq. I was told that I have education benefits again. Can  you explain?

A. You indeed have a new 10 years of eligibility to use any  remaining benefits. If you did not use any benefits you have a full 36  months. To get the benefits reinstated you needed at least 90 days of  activation under federal orders.

Q. I was recently rated 20 percent by the VA. Will that have any effect on   getting a VA home loan guarantee?

A. Your rating should not hinder you in getting a loan, and any  veteran with a compensable rating is exempt from the funding fee. With  any home loan question I always recommend contacting CalVet first.

— George Compton, retired Army colonel, is the veterans service  officer for the County of Ventura, Human Services Agency. Send your  questions to Veterans Service Office, 1701 Pacific Ave., Suite 110,  Oxnard, CA 93033; phone number: 385-6366; fax: 385-6371; or e-mail: [email protected].