Compton: Daughter eligible for college funds

By George Compton
Saturday, December 22, 2007

Q: I was recently rated 100 percent service-connected disabled and my daughter is going to attend UCLA using Chapter 35.

How much will she receive each month as a full-time student?

A: As of Oct. 1, the Chapter 35 rate for a full-time student (minimum 12 semester hours) is $881 per month. She applies for this benefit at the college and they will verify enrollment.

UCLA is a public college so if she meets the income requirement she is also eligible for the California Fee Waiver. We are sending you information and an application.

Q: I am receiving Combat Related Special Compensation at the 30 percent level and I was recently awarded a 20 percent disability for another condition related to my combat injury. Will my CRSC automatically be increased?

A: You need to apply for the increase to the branch of service that is paying the CRSC. Bring your award letter to this office and we will assist.

We do not need your discharge or any other data because all was submitted with your original claim.

Q: I am going to college using the Montgomery GI Bill and I have been verifying my enrollment on the WAVE site. I have a new e-mail address. How do I update the WAVE Web site?

A: Go to the Web site and there is a link at the bottom to change your address.

Q: My grandfather’s military records were destroyed in the 1973 fire at the records center in St. Louis and I recently found copies of his records. Is it possible to send copies to the records center so his service in World War I is on file?

A: That is a great idea. The tragic fire destroyed many years of America’s history, and it was all history of individuals who served this country. Provide this office with a copy of his records and we will submit them to the National Personnel Records Center. His records deserve to be part of our military history.

— George Compton, retired Army colonel, is the veterans service officer for the County of Ventura, Human Services Agency. Send your questions to Veterans Service Office, 1701 Pacific Ave., Suite 110, Oxnard, CA 93033; phone number: 385-6366; fax: 385-6371; or e-mail: [email protected].