Get military training transcript to find out your college credit

By George Compton
Saturday, March 8, 2008

Q. I was recently discharged by the Navy and I am going to start college in September. How do I get credit for my military training?

A. You need to get a transcript of your military training from the Navy. Provide that transcript to the college for determination of college credit.

You can receive a Sailor/Marine/American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART) at no charge. This transcript is endorsed by the American Council on Education and lists those courses and occupations that have been evaluated for possible college credit.

To get that transcript, contact the Navy College Center at 877-253-7122.

Q. What is the income limit for a student to be eligible for the California Fee Waiver?

A. The limit for the coming school year is $10,727 in adjusted gross income. There is no waiver on that limit. If a student earned a little more than the limit, they should place the amount above that limit in a Traditional IRA to lower the adjusted gross income.

This office will send applications to those students currently using the waiver during the last week of April.

Q. Has the income limit for VA medical benefits been established for this year?

A. The income limit for those veterans who are not receiving compensation for a disability or are not on any other program such as non-service connected pension, or who do not have a Purple Heart, is based on HUD low-income levels. The HUD income limits were released Feb. 13 and the limits for Ventura County did not change. The current income limit for a single veteran for Ventura County is $48,000. The limit for a married veteran is $54,850. The numbers increase with the addition of children.

Priority Group 8 was created because the VA does not have the funds to provide medical care to all veterans so those with service-connected disabilities have priority. If there is a change in policy concerning Priority Group 8 veterans, I will keep all informed.

— George Compton, retired Army colonel, is the veterans service officer for the County of Ventura, Human Services Agency. Send your questions to Veterans Service Office, 1701 Pacific Ave., Suite 110, Oxnard, CA 93033; phone number: 385-6366; fax: 385-6371; or e-mail: [email protected].