Touro University Worldwide- Educating Those Who Serve

 touro updated logo 2018

The GI Bill is one of the most amazing benefits offered to those who serve. By using this benefit, veterans can earn a degree or vocational certificate, get paid while in school, and jump-start their post-military lives.

Touro University Worldwide (TUW) understands the importance of educating our country’s active military students and veterans who are preparing to enter the civilian workforce. To that end, in addition to government funding options, TUW offers discounts to to those who serve, past and present, as well as extending the benefit to their families.

Many Touro academic staff members are also veterans, and since they have walked the walk, they can provide support and guidance through the military aligned students’ academic journeys.

While there are thousands of schools throughout the country that would like to be on the receiving end of the tuition funding that military and veterans bring via the GI Bill, TUW has a tradition of commitment to their military and veteran students.

Make this the year that you get started earning the degree that will give prepare you for an exciting career in business, psychology or health and human services.  Apply the skills and knowledge you acquired in the military to a bachelor’s or master’s degree with in-demand concentrations like: Cybersecurity Management, Global Management, Nonprofit Management, Human Resources Management and many more!

You’ve always risen to the challenge, make this the year that you pursue and complete your degree!

For more information, visit

Veteran Education Disrupted by ITT Closure


By Debbie Gregory.

Valuable veteran education benefits could be affected for as many as 7,000 veteran students using their GI Bill benefits at ITT Technical Institute.

The company has shut its doors at all 137 locations over 38 states. ITT places blame for the closure on the U.S. Department of Education, which has stepped up oversight of for-profit colleges, and imposed tough financial sanctions against ITT over recruitment and financial aid practices

The Department of Education, which has online information and webinar Q&A sessions through September 22nd, banned the school from enrolling new students who used federal financial aid.

ITT’s career-focused degree programs in specialties mainly centered on technical fields, such as electronics technology, drafting, auto mechanics, nursing, criminal justice and information technology. Their personal, direct testimony ads from past and present students were a staple on television.

“The sudden shuttering of ITT Tech will hurt thousands of veterans who enrolled in search of a promising career but will receive an uncertain future instead,” said Rep. Mark Takano, (D-CA) a member of the House Veterans Affairs Committee.

Takano said student veterans often are targets of aggressive and even deceptive recruiting practices, noting that Corinthian Colleges and ITT Tech together received a total of $1 billion in GI Bill money between 2009 and 2015. Corinthian Colleges Inc. closed the doors on its remaining campuses following government allegations of falsified job placement rates.

Therefore, in order to make the most of your military education benefits, it is imperative that you do your homework (so to speak) before choosing a college, university or technical school. You may want to use The Department of Education’s College Scorecard to find the program that’s right for you.

Military Connection salutes and proudly serves veterans and service members in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, Guard and Reserve,  and their families.

Military Connection: Transferring Post 9/11 GI Bill Education Benefits


By Debbie Gregory.

When it comes to paying for education for military without the Post 9/11 GI Bill, footing the bill for college isn’t easy. Those who qualify can transfer their Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to their spouse or children. There are, however, a few things you need to know to successfully transfer the Post 9/11 GI Bill benefit.

The transfer rule was designed so career military members, who might already have the education they need, can pass them on to one or more family members. But not everyone who has the Post 9/11 GI Bill is qualified to transfer those benefits. You must have at least six years of service by the day you elect to transfer, with an agreement to obligate another four years. Additionally, you must have a minimum of ten years of active duty and selected reserve time, separately or combined. You aren’t allowed by service policies, such as high-year tenure, to obligate for another four years, but agree to serve the maximum remaining time allowed. Even if you are retirement eligible, you must obligate the additional four years or the max remaining time.

If you are married and/or have multiple children, you are allowed to split the benefit and give a portion to any combination of spouse and children. With that said, the family member must be enrolled in the Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System, known as DEERS, and be fully eligible for military dependent benefits at the time of the GI Bill transfer.

You can transfer or modify how much of the benefit you give, or even revoke the transfer. This covers an ex-spouse if you get divorced, or married children, with the caveat that each dependent must have at least one month of benefits at the time you set up the transfer. You can always shift the benefit around later, even after you are discharged. But once you leave the service, you can’t qualify anyone new.

Your spouse is able to use the benefit immediately upon your transfer, once you separate, or when you retire, but within 15 years. If you have designated your child, he or she can only start using the benefits once you have put in at least 10-years of service.

Your dependent child must have their high-school diploma, or be 18 years old. While there’s no 15-year deadline, they must use it before they reach the age of 26.

You can only apply to transfer benefits while on active duty, so if you are considering this, start as soon as you are eligible. You’ll probably need to get some help with this process, so tap in on the resources available from your command career counselor or your personnel support detachment.

Because there’s obligated service required, that obligation must be made and documented in your record before you can finalize your benefit. You should apply for the transfer within 30 days of re-enlistment or extension. Sailors can work with the Navy Personnel Command’s G.I. Bill office to hold their transfer request until their obligated service can be verified in their electronic records.

Remember to check your application status. Check the milConnect web page routinely until the ‘Submitted’ status changes to either “Request approved” or “Request rejected.” If the request has been rejected, take corrective steps and resubmit the request.

The transfer is not complete until the status has changed to approved. Don’t let a small detail cause the application to be disapproved.

Military Connection proudly serves those who serve in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, Guard and Reserve, Veterans and their Families. We are the go to site for Veteran Employment and information on Veteran education. provides Veterans with and Directory of Employers, a Job Board, information on the Post-9/11 GI Bill, and a blog that offers Veterans boundless information. Be sure to visit, the go to site.

Military Connection: Transferring Post 9/11 GI Bill Education Benefits: By Debbie Gregory