VA Offers Veterans Welcome Kit
The VA has a long history of serving and caring for our Nation’s Veterans. From health care to benefits the list of services offered by the VA is extensive (and confusing to navigate!). This is why they have created a VA Welcome Kit to provide Veterans, their families, and survivors with the information needed to make the most of VA offerings.
The kit is organized around major milestones such as transitioning from active duty to civilian life, retirement, aging in place care, and much, much more. There are 14 guides included in the VA Welcome Kit to get Veterans and their families started:
- Applying for health care
- Seeking and selecting mental health services
- Getting started with women Veteran services
- Learning about community care
- Utilizing urgent care
- Applying for disability compensation
- Understanding the modernized decision review process
- Finding the right education benefits
- Securing space in a VA national cemetery
- Finding services for Veterans over 65 years old
- Seeking state-provided Veteran benefits
- Locating a local Vet Center
- Learning about caregiver benefits
- Applying for survivor benefits
The welcome kit isn’t just for those who are recently separated from the military. It can be useful to any Veteran or their family at any stage of life.
Make the Most of Your VA Welcome Kit
Close to 1,000,000 kits are currently in use. Make sure you keep your VA Welcome Kit handy for reference and share it with anyone who takes part in your care or who may need help navigating their own VA benefits. The VA Kit is regularly updated online as new information becomes available, so the VA encourages Veterans to bookmark the link for future use, as well.
Finally, they welcome suggestions for additional information to include in the VA Welcome Kit. If you have an idea, submit to firstname.lastname@example.org.