California Veterans Dependents Education Assistance

Did you know that California State Colleges, Universities and Community Colleges will waive fees for those who serve under the circumstances below? This is known as “Veterans Dependents Educational Assistance” and it is an awesome education benefit. The children and spouses of service connected disabled veterans can attend free. These are education benefits in addition to the those offered to service members directly in the Post 9/11 GI Bill and the Montgomery GI Bill. You have earned these benefits so please use them and have your family members use them. Education is the key to a better life and a better job opportunity. is the Go To Site For Education for Military, Education For Veterans, Education for Spouses and Education for Military Dependents.

The dependent child, spouse or unmarried surviving spouse of a service-connected disabled or service-connected deceased veteran may be entitled to tuition and fee waiver benefits at any campus of the California State University system, University of California or California Community College system. To be eligible, the student must:

  • Have a parent who is a disabled veteran (0% or more disabled), or
  • Have a spouse who is service-connected (S/C) deceased or rated 100% S/C disabled.
  • Be a child earning less than $11,702 per year (student’s income, not parents’). Note: there is no income limit for a spouse or children of S/C deceased or 100% S/C disabled veterans.
  • Attend a California Community College, California State University, or a University of California school.
  • Provide proof of the student’s relationship to the veteran such as a copy of a birth or marriage certificate.

To obtain complete eligibility requirements and assistance in applying for these valuable benefits, please contact your local County Veterans Service Office or your school’s veterans office. Contact information for the veterans or financial aid office for many California public colleges and universities is available from the Education section CDVA’s California Veterans Resources Database.

You may also contact CalVet at (916) 653-2573 or by mail:
California Department of Veterans Affairs /> Division of Veterans Services
1227 O Street, Suite 105
Sacramento CA 95814

You may also download an application form to fill out. When the form is completed, contact your nearest County Veterans Service Office (CVSO).