By Debbie Gregory.
Whether it’s on land or sea, here in America or on foreign soil, our brave soldiers are ready to serve.
Army Ranger Marcus Taylor lives the Ranger Creed: “Recognizing that I volunteered as a Ranger, fully knowing the hazards of my chosen profession, I will always endeavor to uphold the prestige, honor, and high esprit-de-corps of my Ranger Regiment”.
Without thought for his own safety Army Ranger Marcus Taylor raced to save his neighbors from a burning apartment building. Taylor, a Joint Base Lewis-McChord soldier, had just gotten back from Afghanistan.
At 4 a.m., Taylor and his wife woke to the sounds of kids outside screaming and honking car horns. While most people would be hesitant to leave their cozy, warm beds, Taylor responded quickly to see how he could be of assistance.
He rushed over and was told that there were still some people on the top floor of the two-story building. Keep in mind that Taylor is not a firefighter. It was not his job to risk his personal safety to help his neighbors. But that is exactly what he did.
After smashing a sliding glass door, Taylor led people through smoke filled rooms by the sound of his voice to safety. Among those rescued was Liz Harper. Harper said she felt hopeless, but was shocked and relieved when Taylor was able to gain access to her, and assist her evacuation.
Taylor was treated for cuts to his right leg from the breaking glass. A woman from the building was treated for smoke inhalation, but everyone got out safely.
Four units were destroyed or heavily damaged. The fire displaced nineteen people.
The Red Cross was on hand to help the people who were left homeless by the fire, including five children.
Fire investigators are still looking into what started the blaze.