Saturday, September 27, 2014
Governor Brown Signs Legislation to Support California Veterans and Active-Duty Personnel
Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. today signed legislation to support California’s veterans and active-duty military personnel and their families.
The Governor signed the following bills today:
- AB 13 by Assemblymember Connie Conway (R-Tulare): Requires the California Community Colleges and the California State University to update in-state tuition rate policies for eligible veterans to ensure compliance with the federal Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act of 2014 and state law. Requests these updates of the University of California as well.
- AB 186 by Assemblymember Brian Maienschein (R-San Diego): Requires Department of Consumer Affairs licensing entities to provide military spouses and domestic partners licensed in another state with a 12-month temporary license to practice their profession in California if they meet certain conditions.
- AB 585 by Assemblymember Steve Fox (D-Palmdale): Requires the California Department of Veterans Affairs (CalVet) to develop a prioritized list of uses for unused or underutilized nonresidential real property it owns.
- AB 614 by Assemblymember Rocky Chávez (R-Oceanside): Ensures that a veteran with 70 percent or more service disability receiving intermediate care or skilled nursing care in a veterans home shall have their account deemed paid in full by the amounts paid on their behalf by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- AB 919 by Assemblymember Das G. Williams (D-Santa Barbara): Permits veterans who are itinerant vendors to receive a refund of sales taxes paid to the Board of Equalization between April 1, 2002 and April 1, 2010.
- AB 935 by Assemblymember Jim L. Frazier Jr. (D-Oakley): Allows veterans to apply for a driver's license or identification card featuring a “Veteran” designation.
- AB 1397 by the Committee on Veterans Affairs: Requires the California Department of Human Resources to collect and report on data regarding the veterans preference system in state hiring.
- AB 1453 by Assemblymember Sharon Quirk-Silva (D-Fullerton): Requires CalVet to cooperate with local government bodies in Orange County to design, construct and equip a state-owned and operated Southern California Veterans Cemetery in the City of Irvine and establishes eligibility for interment.
- AB 1509 by Assemblymember Steve Fox (D-Palmdale): Requires CalVet to develop a transition assistance program for veterans who have been discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces or the National Guard of any state.
- AB 1518 by Assemblymember Susan Talamantes Eggman (D-Stockton): Authorizes the California National Guard Adjutant General to receive federal funding to implement a National Guard Youth ChalleNGe Program.
- AB 1589 by Assemblymember Jim L. Frazier Jr. (D-Oakley): Requires an elections official to arrange electronic delivery of a ballot to a military or overseas voter who makes a standing request for all elections, eliminating the requirement that the individuals renew their email address every two years.
- AB 1821 by Assemblymember Richard S. Gordon (D-Menlo Park): Establishes the Medical Foster Home Pilot Program and authorizes USDVA facilities to create a medical foster home not subject to licensure or regulation as a residential care facility for the elderly.
- AB 2215 by Assemblymember Brian Maienschein (R-San Diego): Allows a veteran’s family or legal representatives to file a copy of a veteran’s military discharge document with a county recorder without the consent of the veteran.
- AB 2263 by Assemblymember Steven Bradford (D-Gardena): Authorizes a veterans service organization to volunteer as a veterans service advocate at California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation facilities.
- AB 2664 by Assemblymember Sharon Quirk-Silva (D-Fullerton): Transfers all funds in the California Military Family Relief Fund to the California Military Department Support Fund.
- SB 842 by Senator Stephen T. Knight (R-Palmdale): Requires the California Department of Transportation to construct directional signs on state highways for each veterans home in the state.
- SB 1110 by Senator Hannah-Beth Jackson (D-Santa Barbara): Requires the court to inform active duty or veteran status defendants of restorative relief rights available to them and requires the Judicial Council to include information about the provisions in its military service form.
- SB 1113 by Senator Stephen T. Knight (R-Palmdale): Extends the statute of limitations for a veteran with a 100 percent service disability to claim a disabled veteran property tax exemption refund from four to eight years.
- SB 1226 by Senator Lou Correa (D-Santa Ana): Expedites the Department of Consumer Affairs boards and bureaus’ initial licensure process for veteran applicants who were active duty and stationed in California and authorizes prospective proprietary private security officers to submit verification of military training in lieu of a course in security officer skills.
- SB 1227 by Senator Loni Hancock (D-Berkeley): Authorizes a court to create a diversion program for active duty military personnel or veterans who commit misdemeanors and who are suffering from service-related trauma or substance abuse.
- SB 1440 by Senator Lois Wolk (D-Davis): Requires that non-veteran spouses living in the Veterans Homes of California pay the same fees as veteran residents.
MilitaryConnection.com is a portal of all things military. We have thousands of pages and hundreds of databases of valuable information and resources. There is something for everyone. All of this is provided free to users. Additionally, we feature all types of Columns like this one to keep you informed. We will post your press releases, special events, newsletters, professional conferences and seminars, reunions, job fairs, and videos to help organizations get out the word. One of the areas of our focus is connecting candidates from the military community with outstanding government and civilian employers. We are well aware that candidates from the military community across the board have a work ethic second to none. They make highly valued employees. MilitaryConnection.com has a multitude of employment resources including a Directory of over 30,000 employers, Job Tips, Columns, our Job Board, Virtual Job Fair and much more. We understand the importance of education. Please check out our new Scholarship Directory featuring thousands of scholarships. When the next tour is back home, it's on MilitaryConnection.com.